To get our economy back on track and our budget balanced by 2022-23, we’ve appointed an independent panel of experts to review Alberta’s finances and economy.
The MacKinnon Panel on Alberta's Finances recommended ways to eliminate waste, duplication and non-essential spending to fund government’s key priorities, while ensuring high-quality, front-line services for Albertans.
The panel brought an outside perspective and decades of experience as they reviewed a range of economic factors and financial processes, including:
- government's fiscal outlook
- department and agency expenditure trends and cost drivers
- a plan to balance the budget by 2022-23, without raising taxes
- a new fiscal framework that requires future balanced budgets and a plan to retire the accumulated debt
- government's operating and capital budgeting, fiscal planning and public reporting processes and systems
- business investment climate in Canada and its impact on Alberta’s economy